re: Removal of Tar Type Undercoating

>The same applies to linoleum floor tiles: get them cold enough and they
>shatter...the way to do this is to apply dry ice (solid CO2) on the tiles to
>'freeze' them, whack them with a hammer and use a scraper
>... I'd think that it would work on your cars undercoating as well.

It does work on cars.  In fact, it may be more effective than on houses;
the sheet metal flexes when you hit it (a rubber hammer is best), helping
to pop off the undercoating.

Even with the dry ice trick, removing the outside undercoating is a lot of
work.  You have to hold the dry ice up against the metal and consequently
it's only possible to cool down a small patch at a time.  Much easier on
the inside of the car, where you can spread the ice out on the surface.

Dana Loomis