Barchetta (not an Alfa...)

Hey -

I was looking at the fun end of craigslist (when I was supposed to be looking for a job), and saw an ad for a 2003 Fiat Barchetta. Okay, you can't get'em here,
right? But of course I clicked on it, and got this:

"We are an importer of exotic Italian motorcars and motorcycles.

 "We ship, register, and warranty the automobile, allowing the motoring enthusiast to drive, drive, drive!!

 "We import only 36 Barchetta's per year, limiting ourselves to 10 per metropolitan area to guarantee exclusivity. This is the automobile for those who want to
stand out like they spent six figures on an exotic italian roadster, but have the reliability and drivebility of a 'normal' car."

Very odd. I hadn't heard that any of those DOT or EPA rules had been changed, especially in view of my pa-in-law's ongoing frustration with trying to legalize
his Citroen CX, so what the hell is going on here?

While we're talking about cars They won't let us have, BTW, an Irish guy on the Citroen list has a 2-liter Alfa 156 that he's trying to sell, so he can buy a
DS. Such a person should certainly sell his car to someone who would appreciate it properly...it's kind of a distress sale, and he's asking a reasonable price.
Any eligible UK or Irish buyers can drop me a line off-Digest and I'll pass it along...

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA