GS 4R on ebay

In a message dated 2/7/2003 4:15:04 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:25:22 -0500
> From: "Watry, Andrew (LNG-SFR)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
> Subject: GS 4R on ebay
>
> For those who've never seen one, there's a Gran Sport Quattroruote-Zagato
> (item 2402697196) on ebay right now.  I'm painting with a very broad brush,
> but it's kind of an in-house factory replica/reproduction/recreation (I
> know
> it's easy to fight over those words) of the old pre-war 1750, fitting with
> Giulia running gear, but a real car in its own right.  It's not a cheesy
> VW-based kit car. The description says it's Giulietta TI based, but I think
> that's wrong, and that it's actually Giulia TI (105 chassis, not 101,
> based). Not my car, etc.
> Andrew Watry

       I called the owner and talked to him about the Quattroruote.  Sounds
like a well kept old Alfa, however the thread Alfa used for the top is coming
apart - sound familiar?  Now, I just have to persuade my wife to sweep the
cob webs from the purse strings.
        According to Fusi and some other sources I have researched, the first
year the 4R was build on a Giulia spider chassis 101-23.  The second two
years were on a 105.08 Giulia T.I. chassis.  However, the photos the owner of
the car on eBay send me clearly show the angled front springs of the 101
chassis.  And some of the people I have talked to find it hard to feature
Alfa switching chassis mid stream on such a limited production car.
       So is any one on this list familiar with the Alfa on eBay?  I am a bit
far away to inspect it.  It is in Anaheim, California.  The owner has not
been involved with the Alfa club for years, he says.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City