Re: Slightly off topic H2 (very little Alfa content)

At 9:53 PM 2/5/03, Joe Elliott wrote:

>Err...for "many years" until we run out of oil...probably not within
>your lifetime, but quite possibly within mine.

Planning to live as long a life as Noah did, eh ?? Be wise to learn the
definition of "proven" reserves in re the oil business before you buy into
such concepts.

>Of course, our coal-fired
>power plants could be roughly 25% more efficient and burn a lot
>cleaner if they were held to the same sorts of standards (i.e. making
>the most of existing technology) that the auto industry is.

This statement is so much balderdash !! Unless, of course, you believe,
like Diane Finewhine and Barbie Bouncer seem to, that passing a law "can
make technology magically appear" !!

Fact is, to get the kind of improvement you are suggesting is possible, it
would take a combined cycle power plant, which would require the ability to
burn pulverized coal in a gas turbine (top cycle) to do it with coal. That
would fall into the realm of "magic" today. Pollution control equipment on
power plants generally reduces the net heat rate (efficiency) because it
takes a significant amount of the output to drive said devices.

Greg