re: 105: repacking wheel bearings

In a message dated 2/3/03 5:42:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, Dana writes:

<snip>
>  I need to repack the hubs and bearings with new grease --
>  one of the few jobs I've never done on an Alfa.
<snip>
>  I'd appreciate suggestions about how
>  much grease to use and how to put the system back together with a minimum
>  of fuss and mess.

Dana,

Step 1. Buy gloves - your choice as to latex or not, but buy them and use
them.
Step 2. Starting with clean wheel bearings, force the grease into the
slots/holes between the races and the roller bearings. Do a little spot at a
time and work your way around the bearing. Do it for both sides. Use your
hands or buy a nifty tool (looks like two pieces of a funnel threaded
together) and a grease gun. Some people advocate starting from used grease in
the old bearings (assuming they're good enough to re-use) so you can see the
color of the grease change when the new stuff is all the way in. I think that
leaves too much dirt in the bearing.
Step 3. Pack the inside of the hub with grease. I always took the old stuff
out (cleaned the hubs) and re-packed with new. I packed the hubs fairly solid
(the spindle would push out a plug of grease as the spindle is mounted) but
have been told I put too much in. I never experienced a wheel bearing
failure, however.
Step 4. Install the new bearings on the spindles and tighten and secure the
nut per the directions (be sure to spin the hub as you tighten and torque the
wheel nut).
Step 5. Clean up (throw away those used gloves)
Step 6. Drive the car to check work.
Step 7. Crack open a refreshing beverage of your choice upon returning home.

2 notes - a) Don't reverse Steps 6 & 7; and b) Some (obvious) steps have been
skipped for space reasons.

Enjoy & YMMV

Tom
Seattle