Re: Italian Design - Total Insanity -Some help.

Karl,

Was not sure the 94 was similar to the 91-93.  I feel your pain, having done
a clutch job and starter at different times.   I have read various
approaches to the infamous third bolt, including a very long extension
coming in from the passenger side.  Ithink the old 164 archive has some help
on this one.  Once you get it out, you may choose to do what many have done
(myself included) which is to leave it out.

Brad Anesi Project 164 article is a good resource.  Her is a quote:

The biggest challenge of this project is the required removal of the starter
from the bell- housing. The manual suggests removal of the rear exhaust
manifold is required to get access to the three bolts which secure the
starter - not true. From underneath the car, the top bolt (towards the head
side) can be accessed using a 13mm socket with a wobbly extension. The other
two bolts are more readily accessible. If you get frustrated trying to get
access to these bolts, removing the starter heat shield will provide better
access. With the three bolts removed, just move the starter out of the way,
still leaving it electrically connected (battery disconnected, of course). "

Here is the link:

/alfa/FAQ/164/p164_7.htm

Hope this helps.

Don

(You may have to remove the exhaust manifold cover.  It is not as hard as it
seems at first and I think only two bolts hold it on. )