Brakes A Cuople of Q's

Since this seems to be the week for dumb questions...

What do glazed pads feel like? Is there a significant loss of stopping
ability?

I'm trying to disassemble my Lockheed boosters to see if there's anything I
can do to revive them. How do I remove the plastic (bakelite?) piece that
the large rubber diaphram attachs to? I see a metal tab but it doesn't seem
to push in enough to remove the piece. Secondly, in the air valve section
there's a hard ceramic piece under the plastic vent grill. I always though
that this was a piece of foam but its hard and appears to be impervious to
air. What is it there for? And for that matter if anyone knows of some
diagrams for these boosters it would be a great help.

Thanks,
Mitch Wolberg
Denver, CO
69 Berlina