re: 2003 Alfa Calendars

Is this topic a dead horse yet? I finally received my calendar and had an
opinion to share.

Some of you have said the imagery was subtle. My initial reaction
was the gut opposite; I felt visually assaulted by branding -- with
a little peppering of capitalism thrown in -- when I opened to the first
page. The whole package just seemed very political to me. While the
design may have been artistic in concept, in execution all I saw was
allegiance to that badge. I therefore felt let down.

My devotion to a marque is based on my appreciation of its automotive
design -- which I view as an artfully engineered combination of
performance with beauty (and I guess safety features, and all that other
"stuff"). I don't appreciate a marque because an artist can co-opt
views of nature and sublimate them to badging.

OTOH, maybe someone who lives in the desert and doesn't see mountains and
water every day like I do has more of an appreciation for the subject
matter &:-D!!!!

So I give it a thumbs up for art and inciting comment, but a thumbs down
for subject relevance (i.e., automotive calendar).

Tess
in Bellevue, WA, U.S.A. -- where yes, we got mountains, trees and fog, and
yes, it sure is raining...