Re: '92 164L heater woes - There's a way

Doug,

Yes,  there is hope.  I just had to contend with this situation on my 91L.
It's very cold outside so I did not look forward to actually R/R the motor.
Here is what I did - feel free to call me for details.

Most of these fans are just stuck for want of lubrication or from wear on
the shaft bushings or brushes.  You will need a Dremel tool or equivalent,
a flat head screw driver,  contact cleaner, silicon spray lubricant.

Remove the faux shroud aft of the firewall to get at the motor.  From the
driver's side,  you will make two incisions into the "patient".  At the
small end of the plastic housing (driver side), cut a half inch section from
the housing using the Dremel tool.  Sort of like cutting a section from a
grapefruit. ( The motor parts are not right up against the cover so don't
worry about damage there - be careful nonetheless. )  This will expose the
brushes.  Second, make an incision about two inches long running fore and
aft on the big end housing the fan blades.  Spray copious amounts of contact
cleaner in the brush/commutator area,  rotate the motor to expose the entire
commutator, using a screw driver to move the fan.  Spray the silicon
lubricant on the end of the shaft exposed at the little end of the motor
both inside and outside (use the tube extension on spray can to concentrate
the spray).  Start the fan on the highest setting.  Once it is running,
spray additional contact cleaner  and lubricant in the same areas.  Stop the
fan and spray silicon lubricant in the fan housing.

This should do it.  Mine will now run on all four speed.  It took 2-3 days
of use before it was smooth again. During this period, always start the fan
on the highest setting.   I detected some noise about a month after the
procedure; put in more lubricant and it  was quiet again.

This is clearly not a permanent fix but it will get you heat (and cool)
until you want to tackle R/R or the motor itself.

Hope this helps,

Don
PS.  If you have to tackle the whole job try this great link:
www.alfapro.com/html/aircon_blower.html