Re: alfa-digest V9 #200 - Master cylinder r&r 74 GTV

In a message dated 01/21/2003 8:29:44 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:06:12 -0800
> From: Dan Walker <dawnanddan@domain.elided>
> Subject: Master cylinder r&r 74 GTV
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm replacing the master cylinder on my 74 GTV.  Is it as easy as unbolting
> the pipes, removing the resevoir, unbolting the MC from the booster and
> putting the new one on ?   Any tricks to look for ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan
> 67 Duetto
> 74 GTV

       It is about that easy.
       Make sure there is no brake fluid in the booster.  Clean it out with a
turkey baster and paper towels.  Make sure the gasket on the master cylinder
is in place and that the area it contacts on the brake booster is clean, flat
and not rusty.
       The plastic brake fluid reservoir just pulls off.  Be careful not to
break the two nubbins (technical term) that fit into the rubber grommets on
the brake master.  Clean the reservoir as well as you can while it is off.  I
use soapy water at the kitchen sink.  I then rinse extremely well and blow
thoroughly with air to get all water out.
       Put the reservoir on the new master, add some brake fluid and pump it
through.  Bench bleeding the master will make the job messier, but will allow
the brakes to work a lot quicker.  You can skip the bench bleeding, but it
will take a a lot more pumping later and the brakes will probably not be
right until you drive the car to help the air bubbles move out of the system.
       If you just undo the brake lines at the master, you do not have to
bleed the whole system.  After replacing the master, it may help to crack
each of the brake lines loose a couple of turns.  Do one line at a time, and
have someone pump the pedal while you hold a paper towel under the fitting.
Wrapping on the fitting with a wrench can also help shake the air bubbles
loose.
       I said you do not have to bleed your brakes.  However, I do not like
the idea of dirty old fluid mixing with my pretty clean fresh fluid. I crack
each wheel bleeder in turn and allow new brake fluid to replace the old.  I
follow the gravity bleed with a couple of pumps of the pedal.
       That should do it.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City