RE : There's a Spider bodywork question in here somewhere

>>what the heck do you use for a sanding paper back-up on the
>>damnable concave portions on the sides? I've been using two
>>sizes of 3M's WetOrDry rubber squeegees.

Biba,

in my occupation, i built a lot of prototypes and show models
of always different products ( industrial designer ).  most
projects require the fabrication of custom scrapers, sanders,
and sanding jigs.

i have never sanded the scallop down the side of a Spider, so i
do not know if the contour is constant down the length of the car.

you could get a block of soft wood or hard styrofoam, carve it to
shape, and wrap it with sandpaper.  sand lengthwise down the
car. rely heavily on using guide coats of primer to see what's
going on with the surface.  if the shape of the scallop evolves as
it travels down the car, you might need a couple of custom
sanding blocks.  lots of meticulous work and a good eye ( check
the reflection when the surface is wet ) will be necessary.

large constant concave surfaces always need a shaped sanding
block to get RIGHT.  semi rigid concave sanding blocks might
also help for above and below the scallop.  use 3M super 77
adhesive to stick the paper to the concave block.  use alcohol
or even better, Bestine, to remove the stuck-on paper.

good luck,

dion fields
'73 gtv
los angeles