Re: diesel alfas; was 'importing cars privately'

You might be right about the automatic transmission. Its just my contention that driving a car with an automatic is like, uh, making love while wearing a wet-suit and three condoms. In other words, what's the use? Might as well take the @#$%^ train!

On Thursday, Jan 16, 2003, at 15:11 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:23:12 +1300
From: White Anthony <anthony.white@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: diesel alfas; was 'importing cars privately'

As for your French rental of a 156 with a 1.9 JTD (Diesel). This car is
anemic and slow even if it isn't a rental. I've driven a 156 with the
2.4 JTD, and believe me, better than a 1.9 JTD it might be, but its
nothing to write home about performance-wise (got great gas milage
though even when cruising at 110-115 MPH - it just took forever to get
there).
Turbo diesels are almost always like this, though. Manufacturers seem to think that they can put the same capacity diesel engine in a car, without any consequences, and just benefit from the improved fuel consumption.

Personally, I maintain that, given the better fuel consumption, they should put an engine with the same power output in the car, still benefit from the improved fuel consumption, and have a whole truckload of additional torque to boot.

And, of the contemporary European diesels, the ones with five-speed automatic boxes seem to be the best -- the auto suits the character and power delivery of the diesel to a much greater extent that a manual box.

Kind regards,
Anthony.

George Graves