As for your French rental of a 156 with a 1.9 JTD (Diesel). This car is anemic and slow even if it isn't a rental. I've driven a 156 with the 2.4 JTD, and believe me, better than a 1.9 JTD it might be, but its nothing to write home about performance-wise (got great gas milage though even when cruising at 110-115 MPH - it just took forever to get there).

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Thursday, Jan 16, 2003, at 13:04 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:05:46 -0500
From: Steve An <san@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: importing cars privately.

Ciao tutti,

My advance apology for raising the question since I am not very informed or
up to date on this "personal importation" subject, but I am not sure it is
quite as simple as George stated below? at least in 1987 when I returned to
the US from an assignment in Germany. I am sure George can point anyone to
a more reliable source for info (such as the DOT).

I worked for 2 years as a government contractor at Patch Barracks in
Stuttgart, at the time under the command of no less than General Colin
Powell, he was just as impressive in those days, but I digress.... I had
all the privileges granted by the US government to its civil servants. When
I left in 1987 to move back stateside, the rules at the time were as follow.

1. Cars that were older than 5 years got EPA exempt, only DOT was required,
you get a once per lifetime exemption and I am not sure if you had any
resell restriction. A colleague brought back a 78 928 and sold it later.

2. Cars that were less than 5 years, both EPA and DOT compliance were
required, I brought my 1986 911 back and it cost around $5K for the
compliance. Everything were handled by the military (AAFES). I had no
resell restriction and sold the car to my house mate after a while. I had
to rush my car in because the law changed soon after I did, one of which
was the requirement of bond triple the value of the car instead of single
bonding. In both cases, you must own the car for 7500 miles, though no one
asked since it was handled by the military people.

3. As a diplomatic or foreign national person, one could bring any car
without doing a thing into this country and register and drive it for only
one year. You can not resell it.

Around this time, Mercedes Benz (MBNA) was losing a lot of business to the
gray market importation, which is a slightly different category than the
above mentioned personal importation, so they sued and got the laws changed
severely, enough to kill the gray market. Of course, the ensuing weakness
of the dollar probably had a lot more to do with that.

Remember, Bill Gates had all sorts of troubles bringing in a 959, it was in
fact impounded for a while as reported by Autoweek.

Having said this, I did find an unconverted euro spec BMW M635Csi (the
precursor to the M6) for sale at a local dealer around 1988, with
absolutely no EPA or DOT and US Maine title. The story was a diplomat got
the car into the US, somehow got it registered and titled in Maine,
probably during the moose hunting season when no one was looking, and got
around the DOT's restrictions, once you get the US title, the coast is
clear. I had heard that similar thing can be done in Alabama, Texas etc...
but i reckon things have got a lot more stringent recently.

Currently, another friend here in Boston finally got approval to bring in
his McLaren F1s (a street and an LM) with OBD2 and all, I'll find out the
OBD2 details and post it if anyone is curious. He told me it will cost
about half of what it cost him to bring his first, pre-OBD2 1994 F1 car in,
which was around 90k.

Caveat emptor and YMMV,

- Steve.

p.s. George, I am not sure if it is fair to judge any car on the basis of a
rental car, I had a rental 156 1.9 JD in France for a couple of weeks, it
was anemic and thus pathetic. I am sure a 156 GTA would have made a far
different impression.