RE : GTV headliner replacement - long

John,

i just installed a new headliner ( my first time ) in my '73 GTV
restoration project last month.  it was quite a learning
experience, and if i were to do it again, i could do a much
cleaner and faster job.

yes, the rear window will impede the installation in exactly the
same way as the windshield.  also, the stainless trim that runs
up over the door and quarter window on the inside should be
removed as well.

the headliner gets glued down with contact cement at the edge
of all the window openings.  with the windows and stainless
trim in place, i don't know how you would brush the glue on
without gluing the window gasket down instead.  the gaskets
and bright trim then cover up the unsightly edges.

i have heard that the right way to remove the gasketed glass,
such as the windshield or rear window, is to treat the gasket
as disposable.  use a sharp knife, and cut through the rubber
along the edge of the aluminum trim on the outside.  the glass
will then pull right out of the rubber, followed by the trim, and
finally the rubber off the frame.  of course, when i took my car
apart i gently pried the rear window, gasket, trim and all, gently
out from the inside with a number of screwdrivers.  i was
EXTREMELY scared of breaking the glass, but it worked.

if you are interested, i could tell you off-line how i installed
the headliner.  if any other digestibles are interested, i could
post it on the digest, but i fear of being laughed at by others
here who are more experienced than i at this project.  after
all it was my first attempt, though it came out pretty good, if
i do say so myself.

dion fields
'73 GTV restoration project - ( looks better every day )
los angeles