Battery switches

Hi All,

Whilst installing a battery isolator switch in the racecar I was considering which line to cut, positive or negative.

After pondering for a while I chopped the positive line, as this will cut the motor as well (if you cut the coil power supply as well). Pretty smart I thought, just saved myself about $85. "Proper" battery isolation switches from our local racecar parts supplier are about $100, they have two large terminals for cutting the battery, and four others for ancillary systems. The one I bought from a marine supply shop only had the two large terminals and cost about $15.

I thought about the safety of the design later...

I now have a large wire going to an exposed terminal running up inside the dashboard which is always hot. Also in the near vicinity I have several exposed metal surfaces, which are always grounded. In the event of a crash (it won't be an accident, I'll just have pushed too far) I don't think I want that hot wire in the dash.

Switched the battery leads over, so the switch now cuts the negative lead.

I now have a large wire going to an exposed terminal, always earthed, same as the rest of the body metal. I think much safer. But ...

Now whilst the engine is running there is no way to cut the power to the coil (as the alternator is earthed through the body), so my battery isolator switch does just that, nothing more, it won't stop the engine running. I figure that if I've stacked the car seriously enough for someone to pull the isolator switch there's a fair chance the motor isn't going to be running anyway.

Does anyone know how I can make it work for both though??

BTW those green screw knob battery switches are great, whenever I work on the car I just unscrew the switch, should put one in the 75 as well. Always put those on the negative terminal as well, for safety reasons.

Cheers
Stuart