RE: Berlina trip from Phoenix (too long)

>Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:57:00 -0500
>From: "Watry, Andrew (LNG-SFR)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
>Subject: Berlina trip from Phoenix (too long)
>...Some specific points from the trip:
>* Traffic in AZ is more sane than in CA; speed on freeway seems more
reasonable, and with less variation.  Not like I-5 with 90 MPH fast >
>lane and 65 MPH slow lane full of trucks.

Congratulations on the successful trip.
If you think the 90/65 differential is a problem, check out the German
Autobahn. My wife and I were just there for European Delivery of a BMW. 18
wheelers and cars with trailers are limited to ~60-65 mph. No speed limit
for cars on most of the road, although some sections have limits. So it's
kind of like what you describe for CA, except that it's common to see left
lane speeds of 100-120 mph when conditions permit - meaning closing speeds
of 60 mph. I enjoyed it very much (although the break-in limit for the new
car was 100 mph); my wife did not care for the speed differential. Look way
back when moving to the left lane!

What annoys me about CA travel is the occasional pickup/SUV going 70 in the
left lane. Or the other extreme of the driver not realizing that there's a
long stream of left-lane traffic, preventing everyone from 70-80 mph travel
- but he only perceives that I am blocking him and so tailgates/high beams
me. Or of course the CHP policy of focusing on the person going 80 mph on
relatively empty roads but ignoring the 65 mph tailgater/unsafe lane
change/etc.

Greg