being a bonehead

Well, I did my darndest to jack my car into the air, but I ended up with body damage anyway. Since I didn't have anything to protect the axle housing from the floor jack cup, I used the rear jackpoints instead (I needed to get the driveshaft out for a U-joint exam and a rear seal change). The jack points are rock-solid, not a speck of rust near them. I put it up high enough to get the stands under the axle tubes at their lowest setting, then slowly jacked each side up, alternating, so I could get the car two notches on the jackstand higher each time. I left it at five notches.

So I'm sitting cleaning off the axle and I notice I have a roughly rectangular dent just forward of the rear tire well. Push your finger into your arm just slightly and that's what I got. Great.

Thing is, I don't know what I did wrong, other than not trying harder to find some sort of padding to lift it from the center of the axle.

Well, anyway, just venting. Guess I need to take it to a frame alignment shop now. Oh joy...

Scott Johnson
71 1750 Spider