From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Paul Misencik
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 1:02 PM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: Spider clutch issue?

My 1987 Graduate is exhibiting something I need help diagnosing.  Here's
what happens:

When the car is cold, it makes a slight grumbling rattle which seems to
be
coming from the clutch area.  Opening the hood and listening closely
seems
to confirm this is indeed where the sound is coming from, and depressing
the
clutch (whether in gear or not) makes the sound vanish imediately.  I
can
sort of "feel" the rattle when resting my hand gently on the shift
lever,
but it is very, very slight.

The sound continues when doddling along in any gear as long as the
clutch
pedal is not depressed.

After about five minutes of warm-up running, the sound vanishes
completely,
and will not return until the car sits for an extended period and gets
very
cold again.

Everything feels fine with the clutch and transmission.  It shifts
smoothly,
the clutch seems to engage and disengage normally, and other than the
sound,
it's pretty much transparent in terms of how the car runs and drives.

Before I start tearing into it, anyone know what's up?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Misencik
P. Roman Media
Huntersville, NC  28078