re: loss of clutch

>Yesterday,  I was driving around town in my '91 Spider Veloce and
>suddenly I had no clutch.  I put the clutch in and it stopped briefly at
>its normal point but kept on going past it.  There is zero clutch
>resistance.   I pulled it over and checked the clutch fluid level.  It
>was dry!  I filled up with clutch fluid,  pumped the pedal.  I got no
>response of any kind.  No resistance or anything.  So... I floated the
>gears all the way home.  Any Ideas on what is going on?

>Alan C.

Alan,
Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder blew a seal. I was gonna mention the
"broken pedal shaft weld" syndrome but the loss of fluid gave it away. If
you dont see any leaks up at the master, then check underneath at the slave
cylinder, sometimes the boot will hold the fluid so you might not see much
actual leakage onto the ground. seal kits are available from the usual
sources and whole rebuilt units are available also AFAIK .HTH.

Keith S.
73 Alfa spider
88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
97 Dodge Dakota V8 (parts hauler)