re: 164/snow

I was up at Alpental a couple of winters ago skiing (when we actually
had a wet winter) & it had snowed about a foot over the course of the
day.  There was also plenty of snow in the parking lot that had not been
plowed from the previous two days dumpings.  I double parked in front of
some Jeeps & RV's that had been there all weekend & were under 3 or 4 ft
of snow.  They wouldn't be going anywhere before I was done for the day.
I came back to the 164 at the end of the day to find one of the Jeep
owners shoveling out & throwing all the snow in front of my car &
burying the entire driver's side of the car.  After removing enough snow
to get the door open & the car started, the guy asked if I had 4wd,
because "you'll need it to get out of there".  Feeling a little cocky, I
told him off a bit, since I was pissed he'd shoveled all that snow
around the 164.  I grabbed 1st, eased the clutch out, & with the help of
4 Hakkapeliittas I drove through all the mashed potatoes like a tank.
The guy was thoroughly confused.  I laughed my butt off.

The 164 does great in the snow, especially with 4 good snow tires.  I
can usually maintain near freeway speeds when I hit the white stuff &
SUVs are flipping in to the ditch.  Getting the rear end out is fine,
just point where you want to go & give it some throttle.

Cheers,

Zach

Redmond, WA

'91 164S