Re: tensioner tension...

Again, Thanks Fred and to others who were willing and able to answer my query. I'll check to verify the free movement of the tensioner plunger. Although I have no way of knowing whether the tensioner were ever replaced, assuming it is original (35 years young!), do you think the spring is exerting a comparable amount of force against the tensioner sprocket as it once did?

Cheers, --jim

On Friday, Dec 6, 2002, at 09:57 US/Eastern, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 08:51:13 -0500
From: Ferdinando Di Matteo <aroctech@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: Jim  Lehman's

He asks how much tension should there be on the chain etc.  The Alfa
engine designers  put in a particular spring which is used to push the
idler sprocket  out with just enough force.  Remember, that section
MUSTR be clean and free to move.  To check the tension, press on the
chain with your palm and it should not move more than a fraction.  To
check if the idler assembly is free, loosen the adjuster bolt NOT MORE
than one full turn, then with the cam cover off use s strong wooden rod
to force the sprocket assembly in and out a couple of times, you'll see
readily if it moves freely.  Regards, Fred Di Matteo  AROC USA
Technical Advisor in Florida
Jim Lehman
Burdett, NY