Big Deal on Madonna Street

In a message dated 12/5/2002 5:36:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the Automotive News
> article which speculated that the Ferrari organization might "buy" Alfa
> Romeo...  It did point out that GM is trying to work Alfa into their
> system, plus Alfa is the lone shining light in the Fiat Auto group.
>
> Wouldn't that be interesting, the company of the former Alfa racing group
> buys Alfa.....
>
> No idea if there is any merit to the report.
>
> Eric Storhok

OK, the tycoons are at it again.  So here's a good deal: Burlusconi, the only
person in Italy who has more money than Angelli, underwrites the transaction;
who cares if he's in office and it looks a little fishy?  He still does
business and is proud of it.  Schmear around about 1 - 5 years salary for
every worker who must lose a job with less than 5 years to go before pension
time, that will shut them up, plus the Communists can't carry a government
even in Italy.  Then, Sr. B cuts them a lush deal on media buys (as he owns
all the important media in Italy, if anyone would consider that a conflict of
interests) so he can profit through the wonders of synergy (obviating the ad
costs and gaining a real advantage for a company he has de facto taken over
on the cheap).  What a concept!

Then, if anyone who is not rich enough to afford a Ferrari or Alfa needs to
get someplace, let 'em ride the bus, which would also be a terrific
opportunity to quietly buy up all the bus lines and metros.

Luca believes Burlusconi, the businessman, is something like President Bush,
but believe me, Burlusconi has it all over our President in the business
area; I won't get into all of the success the one enjoyed while the other, to
the manor born, was not allowed to fail, but our US government has decided to
let United Airline die on the vine, and when push comes to shove with the
auto industry, it is a tossup how the Houston contingent will react to a plea
for help.  Once the SUV cash cows start going extinct and they realize autos
haven't been profitable for a long time, things will hit the fan here, as
well.  And we have no laws preserving jobs.  And, the food isn't as good,
either.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA