Milano no start in Cold

Brrrr!  Minus 15C

Yesterday morning was very cold here in Toronto and the milano would not
start. I tried for half an hour and although she would seem desperately keen
on running - no luck.
Eventually (and this may be a clue) fuel was running down the edge of the
air cleaner box and dripping to the road.

Last night I tried again, and eventuially, by pushing the accelerator
(against my better judgement - because one day I did that and made the car
go boom - my mechanic later told me not to press the gas cuz it might go
boom) she started and sputtered alot, but stayed running.

Mechanic things a nice clean set of injectors will fix us up.

BUT

This morning - still quite cold - she fired up almost too quickly. I just
turned the key and she was running instantly.

Questions:
01. What's up with that???
02. Power steering makes a whirring odd noise now when turned at all left or
right - quiet at rest. Unrelated?

Thanks
--
James Cook - Toronto