[no subject]

Anthony asked about a clutch centering tool for his '85 116 Giulietta...

Having just replaced the clutch on my gtv6 last weekend without the special centering tool I have some tips for this job. In the past I have just eyeballed the disk and had no problem bolting the unit back in, but my eyes must have been out of alignment last weekend as I tried it 3-4 times without luck. Finally I figured out a great solution to the problem. I did the job with the transaxle out of the vehicle, but I believe there is sufficient clearance under the vehicle with the de dion dropped down for this to work.

- With the clutch assembly out of the car loosen the 6(?) bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel so they were in just enough to keep the pressure plate on. The pressure plate should lift off the flywheel 5-10mm or so. If not it may take some gentle persuasion to make sure it has lifted off and is not binding.

- Attach the clutch assembly to the transaxle. You might have to wiggle it a little to get the disk positioned correctly, but there is no clamping force on the disk and it can move around freely.

- The top of the transaxle housing has a ~1"x3" slot that allows you access to the bolts holding the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel. Use a box end wrench to tighten the bolts holding the assembly together. If you really want to use a torque wrench you can remove the assembly from the transaxle once the bolts have been tightened sufficiently for the pressure plate to exert force on the clutch disk. I just tightened the bolts by feel. As always a little locktite on those bolts is probably a good idea.

-Obie
Tacoma, Wa. USA
assorted Alfas