Atmosphereic adjustment?

I have ignored these devices, assuming they did little or nothing...

However, the 164 just acted-up, and this gagdet seems a prime candidate:

Normally I have been above freezing, and well under 1000'.  In travel to
VA, there is a stretch near 3000', and currently quite cold.  Missing, on
seeking to feather from accel to coast, or back.  At first I thought it
may be a bit of water in the fuel -- or the cold (ISV?) but on return in
the same stretch, happens again.  Not so uniformly below freezing this
time.  (Full off, or fair accel, OK.)

What seems to shell-out as the independant variable is the altitude.

What are these devices supposed to do as one climbs, and what fault
syndrome do they exhibit?

r.m.bies