Re[2]: alfaBB.com spam??

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:53:00 -0500 Paul Novak <spammit@domain.elided> wrote:
> I had the same reaction--smells like spam to me.  Even if it is an Alfa
> site, it is still spam.

hitting the harvested addresses makes it spam, regardless of the
profit/not-for-profit status. my rule is not to have anything to do with
spammers.

the status of the message to the digest, given its mild relevance, has to
do with whether there's a for-profit-business behind it. the website for
the business that the email originated appears to be some sort of web
design firm. as they appear to design sites that the Opera web browser that
i use cannot view, i know no more than that, and have little interest in
firing up Netscrape or Internet Exploder to find out who they are.

> I got two messages from them too, which only increases the irritation.

> Go get 'em Richard (not sure what you can really do, though...) as my
> American wife would say, like "white on rice."

we'll see. i reviewed the introductory material that gets sent to all new
subscribers, and it doesn't reference the web link i mentioned in earlier
email, and is written so that probably they do owe me $147.10 if they're an
actual business. however, actually collecting $147.10 is not an economically
feasible proposition. i'll just block them from future access to the digest
and walk away, i think.

but the scraping is evil. i don't care how targeted someone thinks they are
being, scraping email addresses off the web or out of archives for bulk-ish
mailing is unacceptable practice.

richard