From: Brad Anesi

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 09:49:14 -0600

Subject: <164> 5-speed Transmission Fluid Change

This past Saturday was mostly spent underneath my 164, performing a

number of upgrades (read about the Stebro exhaust install in an

upcoming Alfa Owner), and maintenance items, including a transmission

fluid change.  Draining the fluid was easy enough, requiring both a 10

and 12mm allen socket to remove the two drain plugs.  Re-filling the box

proved much more difficult however, as I could not find the
dipstick/fill

hole as indicated in the Owner's Manual.  After searching for nearly an

hour, I came to the conclusion that the sensor screwed into the top of

the bell housing HAD to be the only way to re-fill the unit and (once

again), I had found another anomaly of the early 164s.  In fact, the

transmission happily drank down the two quarts of RedLine MTL fluid,

and I now have a much smoother shifting gearbox.

Brad

'91 164B (3/90 build)