Re: Webers or Spica?

To begin with, any car "preserved/restored to a very high standard"
automatically necessitates the answer Spica. Why? Any car preserved or
restored is not modified. If the car is an USA model, as would be presumed
with the evidence presented, then that means Spica. Unless your car uses the
later (1980 and above) single throttle Spica, then you can be forgiven for
removing it in favor of Carbs.

Now, down to the real question: which is better? Your purposes must be
assessed to answer that question. Street drivability in all weather and
altitude conditions calls for Spica. Street drivability in only fair
weather, at one primary altitude, calls for carbs. You notice that I did not
answer Webers. I find DellOrtos to be as good as Webers with better
drivability, unless one has the newest Weber DCOM version.

Where Webers shine is tuneability. What we are talking about here is the
availability of interchangeable (thus tuneable) jets and air tubes, etc.
DellOrtos do not have the marketing backing, at least not in the USA, to
provide these parts. But when the parts are available, they are superior to
Webers. And either Webers or DellOrtos were standard equipment on the
European continent.

Where Webers are above the others, both DellOrtos and Spica, is at the
track. This is not because of any inherent superiority. It is because of
that marketing support that has created an aftermarket supply system along
with the widespread knowledge needed to keep the product going.

The choice is yours. Spica for all around drivability and originality (and
performance if you want Jon to remap it for you). DellOrtos if home tuning
is your thing and you do not mind the non-original equipment. Webers if ya
gotta have what everyone else is running.

Ben Ament
1978 Spider (Spica)
1980 Spider (DellOrtos)
1984 GTV6 X2