17' wheels on a Spider discussion

Original post:

At 12:24 PM 11/20/2002, you wrote:
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:41:09 -0600
From: Tony Martie <tony@domain.elided>
Subject: Spider w/ 17" wheels!

Does anybody know who makes these wheels?
Most likely custom drilled?
http://www.alfaclassifieds.com/uk/detail.php?siteid=357
Just curious,

Tony Martie
78 Spider
http://tmpd.net
Follow ups:

On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 01:40 PM, Dean W. Cains wrote:

Hi Tony:

Can't tell you who makes those wheels, but here's a link to some similar Alfa-specific 16's:

http://www.serpentautosport.com/wheels.htm

The proprietor of Serpent (Charlie DiMarco) is a Digester, and a good guy to deal with.

The wheels on the UK car are most likely not custom drilled, as 4 X 108 is more common than you might think, fitting many Euro Fords and Peugeots, to name a few.

Regards,

Dean
Subject: Re: Spider w/ 17" wheels!

I have seen the wheels at Serpent. They look O.K. (IMO), but that's kind of a lot of money for a design that I am not all that crazy about.
One of the reasons I desire the large wheels is (this crazy idea I have) to use run flat tires and ditch the spare, cut out the spare tire well in the trunk, replace with a more usable square recess, re-carpet and voila! I would have a Spider with enormous trunk space (by Spider standards), modern tires and great big pretty wheels.
Nuts? Maybe so.
There's always that whole "tire pressure monitoring system" that you are suppose to install with run-flat tires that I would have to contend with, or ignore and take my chances. hmm...

I think I will go ahead and post this exchange to the digest just to hear the reactions, thoughts and most likely better ideas that may result.

Maybe I will look into some UK sources.

~Tony M.
78 Spider