'84 Spider cylinder head height AFTER refinishing...VVT intake cam?

       The original factory cylinder head thickness for all 1600, 1750 and
2000 Alfa cylinder heads was 4.41 inches or 112 mm.  The factory workshop
manual "service" limit is 4.39 inches or 111.5 mm.  The CRH or Competition
Reference Handbook gives the minimum thickness for racing as 4.33 inches or
110 mm.
       For the street, your 84 spider may need a copper head gasket.  The
copper head gasket will add approximately 0.030 inches.
       I figure half a point compression increase per 0.025 inch of cut on
the head.  Your results may vary for various reasons.

       It is my understanding, that the VVT intake cam came along with the
weird single butterfly on the last of the Spica cars in 1980 and 1981.  Most
80 and 81 spiders have been modified with early parts, so if you open up one
today you may not find VVT intake cam.
       All Bosch injected Alfa spiders definitely have the VVT intake cam.
From 82 to 84 / 85 the activation for the cam was centrifugal.  Sometime in
1985, the factory fitted a solenoid to the front of the valve cover to
activate the intake cam.  All intake cams advance from oil pressure, once
triggered by RPM or by the solenoid.
       Alfa made a number of changes in about 1985.  The VVT trigger is one
of them.  However, the five spoke Daytona style wheels also changed from the
light but corrosion prone magnesium Campagnolo to the heavier aluminum FPS
wheel.  The FPS is a better wheel for the street, but guess what I run on my
race car.
       There are no hard and fast rules.  I recently bought an 84 parts car
expecting Campagnolo wheels, but found it had FPS wheels.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City