Sure is biased commentary. US commentators would never do that. of course American commentators don't get as breathless as do their British cousins when narrating motor races either. Listen to the British commentators when ABC carries a Formula 1 race and contrast it with David Hobbs and company do it for Speed Channel (er NASCAR Channel). Frankly Speeds coverage is so laid-back that I think the guys are drinking - which is OK, at least they're entertaining, informative and not nearly so frenetic.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 07:10 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:15:27 -0500
From: adoherty@domain.elided
Subject: As if winning races weren't enough....

In between watching the Raiders thump the Patriots last night, I watched a
certain amount of the TouringCar races in the Czech Rep. Anyhow, as the Alfa of
Gandolini (?) overtook the BMWs into first place, there was a quick camera shot
of a silver 156 wagon pulled to the side with steam emanating from under the
hood.... British git commentator: 'Ohh, quite a heart-wrenching site for
Alfisti, as they all know Alfas can be raced quite successfully, but regular
Alfas are a breakdown waiting for a place to happen....' A close paraphrasing.
And just when you thought sweeping all the races was enough.... And to complete
the conspiracy, the same git later opines that once BMW get their engine sorted
that it will end the dominance of the Alfas. You could almost hear the axe
grinding in the background.

AD

- --
Adam S. Doherty
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
University of Pennsylvania--School of Medicine
360 CRB
415 Curie Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

Phone: 215-898-7806