Re: Fair Lady Z and auto design

In the interview with Mr. Yoshida, he says the Oldsmobile Toronado
and figher jets gave him the idea for the Z. If he wasn't talking about
exterior body, what what could he be talking about?

He certainly could be hiding the influence he got from Ferraris or
Jags, or they just subconsiously influenced him. My father used to
say, "Not all Italian things are good, but all good things are Italian."

Incidentally, if anyone has Road and Tracks from the mid/late 80's,
look for an article on the Ferrari 408. Road and Track thought it
might be a replacement for the 328 at the time and went to Italy
to photograph it and and drive it around the track. It turned out to
be a test mule for their new epoxy baking methods, and they used
it to try out different engine and brake components. It was bright
yellow. A few years later, out came the Acura NSX, I and I thought
it looked mighty familiar. When it hit me, I dug out the old magazine
and damned if every body panel was IDENTICAL. The bumpers were
a little different, but the rest was all the same. To me, the NSX is
an Italian car. I don't know if they bought the design from whomever
designed it for Ferrari, or that Ferrari never bought the design since
they didn't really want it, or what the story is. But it's Italian.

Stefano
Oakland, CA