corrected

In a message dated 11/15/2002 2:47:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> >  The GTV6 came out as a 74 model, so it had to be designed quite some time
> > prior to the mid 70s.
>
> The GTV6 came out as an '81 model.  The Alfetta GT came out as a '74
> model.

Yes, that's what I meant to say: the Alfetta GT/GTV, as called out in
Italdesign literature, hit the market in 74.  The 6 got to the USA in 81.
Don't know when it went on sale elsewhere.  But either way, they were
evidently making them in 73 so it is very likely the design work started in
the 60s.  Perhaps even the 1860s if you believe some of the tales of auto
designers.

I think I've mentioned before we had as a speaker at an AROSC meeting once
the designer of the Miata.  Yes, he is from Japan.  But I believe he hasn't
lived or worked there for many years.  I could be wrong but I think he said
he studied at Art Center in the USA, then got a job at GM in, I think, the
Oldsmobile or Buick Division (one of those huge American chromeboat makes),
then worked for BMW in Germany, and then, I think it was, for Mazda, but in
the USA.  So, he is a true international man!

He mentioned his work on the (prior) BMW 3 series and explained that BMW
starts the design process for new models TWENTY YEARS prior to release.  So,
even if this was exaggerated (or ill-recalled) by a factor of 2 and it was
really ten years, and even in Alfa is typically twice as fast as BMW, the GTV
was still penned in the 60s.  That would be the 1960s.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA