Re: who remembers that far back?

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 Pottree@domain.elided wrote:
> In a message dated 11/15/2002 8:10:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
> >  Point being is the gtv-6 design was mid-70s,
>
> Perhaps our History Department would comment, but I don't think so.  Without
> cracking the references, I think the basic design of the GTV6 was drawn by
> Guigaro in the 60s (as the Alfetta) and later "revised" by the factory [there
> is a tale that he disowned the model in a huff, yet Italdesign literature
> still trumpets it];  the GTV6 updating probably had a much shorter lead time.
>  The GTV6 came out as a 74 model, so it had to be designed quite some time
> prior to the mid 70s.

The GTV6 came out as an '81 model.  The Alfetta GT came out as a '74
model.  It's possible the design was originally drawn in the late '60s.
The V6 engine design was first drawn up in the early '70s, as well,
but it wasn't used until the Euro-only Alfa Six in the late '70s, and
with carbs.  The GTV6 was the first car to use it in L-Jet form.  I won't
quibble with the stance that it was cobbled together somewhat.  The engine
barely fits in the bay and the hood bulge looks like an afterthought.

The idea that the basic architecture of the GTV6 was in place by the
early-mid '70s isn't completely incorrect, however.  The body design
and the engine design both existed by then, just not together.

james montebello