Re: Racist comments

C'mon Zak, aren't you being just as wee bit too "politically correct" here? I didn't post the passage you quoted, below, but having worked for many Japanese companies in my long semiconductor career, I can speak with some authority on this subject. The Japanese have cultural problems that lead them to be very poor innovators. This has nothing whatever to do with the facts that they are Oriental, of the Mongol racial group, have epicanthal folds on their eyes, or that their mothers carried them on their backs as babies, or any of that other 19th century racial hogwash because this is not a racial observation. It has to do with their written language and their social order. Since the main style of writing in Japan is still the Chinese style hieroglyphic writing called Kanji (the Japanese do have a phonetic alphabet but its mostly used for billboards, signs and commercial purposes), The Japanese rely heavily on 'rote memorization.' They have to learn some 2500 different Kanji characters by the time they leave grammar school and learn them perfectly. The Japanese will be the FIRST to admit that this reliance upon rote learning 'colors' their entire thought process. On the one hand it trains them to be very methodical and detail oriented, which could be one reason why the quality of Japanese workmanship and products is as high as it is. On the other hand, this type of schooling and writing does not foster a facility for innovation, and most Japanese would be the first to admit to that. Secondly, the Japanese have a cultural aversion to standing out from their peers. There is an old Japanese saying that the nail which sticks up, will be hammered down flat. Neither of these characteristics are conducive to individual creativity. They have acquired a reputation for imitation because innovation is simply not easy for them. Imitation also has worked well for them. They went from 12th Century feudalism to the modern age during the late 19th Century in just a couple of decades. They copied the West in everything and it worked. They continue to copy because they aren't great inventors or innovators and they know it. But its not 'racist' to notice or even to mention these things and if it has become so, then this society is in deep trouble.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:37:59 +0200
From: Zak McGregor <zak@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: alfa-digest V9 #20

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:06:32 +0000
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided (alfa-digest) wrote:

I am not entirely sure who spouted the drivel that is well represented
by this snippet of vitriolic racist bile:

 S**t, if the Japanese had an original thought in their whole body,
 they might have
 something.  Actually, their original thinking they did come up with
 was pure crap.
 And still is.
but whoever it was is indeed an imbecile. To the halfwit who posting
this abhorrent crap, in future please keep this sort of rubbish off the
list. For what it's worth, the Japanese have produced and continue to
produce today some very excellent motor cars. That some engineering was
taken, lifted, borrowed, stolen or whatever is really not in any way
relevant unless it has been proven in a court of law - or at least
substantiated in some concrete manner other than hearsay or subjective
commentary. In any case, I woud like to not expend any more energy
attacking this nonsense, so let's please keep it off the list.

Ciao

Zak