Re: Excessive gearstick movement on -76 Spider

>In my -76 Spider the gear lever seems to have excessive movement and
>pushes the center console in 1:st and 5:th gears. Is it supposed to go that
>far? Is there simple solutions to tighten the linkage or joints, without
tearing
>the gearbox apart? Car has only 54000 miles on it.

There are no real linkages or joints in the Spider shifter, it's pretty much
a direct connection. That's why it's so long. It sounds to me like either
your console or dash is not mounted correctly or is sagging. The dash has
two large wingnuts that tighten down onto the mounts underneath just left
and right of center near the defroster vents. Make sure it's pushed all the
way up and forward and the nuts are tight. Also check to make sure your
console is secured correctly.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi