164 Dead and towed home.

Hi All,
My 164 3.0 24 valve turned itself off whilst driving along the other day
without any prior warning. I coasted to a halt and when I tried to re-start
it on the side of the road the key code warning light was on and the engine
refused to start. All fuses were checked and connections to the various
engine management systems but nothing turned up. The ECU appears totally
dead refusing to power up at all. Ive tried resetting the keycode system
using the master key to no avail. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong
with this? Anyone had anything like this happen.
Regards
Mike Salter
Leicester UK.