Marvel Mystery Oil Fixes Fuel Tank Sender! SPICA Pump Too!

Hi,

Might be too early yet to tell if this is merely coincidence. Fuel tank
sender was evidently shorting out somewhere internally because it always
registered over-full on the gauge. The low fuel light would function
properly, however. 5-6 months like this. On my to-do list. A few months ago I
took the sender out of the tank for inspection-- everything looked OK, and
tested OK with the ohmeter. Hooked up the wires and grounded its frame to
chassis while it was still out of the tank, and the gauge responded correctly
as I lifted the float up and down. Put it back in the tank and it went back
to registering over-full always. Until last week when I poured a half cup of
Marvel Mystery Oil in the 3/4 full tank (I could tell by the trip odometer--
it had about 90 miles on it). Now the gauge is working just like the good ol
days! The needle even jumps around after hard cornering (fuel slosh).

Marvel Mystery Oil and SPICA:
For about 7 years, I used to add maybe 1/2 cup Marvel Mystery Oil every 4th
or 5th tankfull, stopped during the last few years, not sure why. Even after
I perceived Wes Ingram seemed to be doing an informal poll of SPICA customers
about what habits they might have that can improve longevity of the SPICA
fuel injection pump. This particular pump has been in my car for at least
110,000 miles, seems to be doing fine. I remember one time him asking me if I
added Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas, and when I answered yes he responded
something like I was not the only one with a high mileage pump in decent
condition that had been fed MMO for a portion of its life. I think the theory
something like the MMO possibly helps lubricate the pump's close tolerance
pistons and barrels. I change the engine oil every 3,000 miles, and have not
noticed it polluted with gasoline, which I understand can be a byproduct of a
failing SPICA pump.

SUMMARY:
We will see about the connection between the fuel tank sender and MMO. Maybe
just coincidence.
The SPICA pump/MMO connection makes more logical sense but how to really
prove it? At least it's one more data point.

I just wish I had the magic good habit that makes the engine's piston rings
last longer. That and the tranny bearings.

--Caxambu
1969 Spider Veloce 1750
Seattle WA

What is Marvel Mystery Oil? The can says "Top Cylinder Lubrication." I can
get lots of that when I forget to tighten the oil fill cap all the way.
Specific Alfa Content: Does somebody know of a cheaper alternative that
performs the same?
Legal disclaimer: No financial interest in Marvel Oil Company, Inc.