Re: 164 clutch damper

----- Original Message -----
From: "C M Smith" <cmsmith@domain.elided>
To: <alfa@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 7:58 PM
Subject: 164 clutch damper

> My 91 shop manual suggests that all NA 164 models have the damper in the
> clutch hydraulic line.
>
> The differences between the S and L clutches include bigger disc, pressure
> plate, and "master " cylinder (by which Alfa actually means the slave
> cylinder, the master cylinder is called the clutch pump in the manual)
for
> the S to supposedly deal with the extra power ( a measly extra16 hp at
> 5,500 rpm!). Which is ridiculous since clutches need to transfer torque,
> not power, and the L produces only 2 % less torque, at lower rpm and with
> taller final drive ratio which is harder on the clutch than the supposed
9%
> more power developed by the S engine. This extra power is more than offset
> by the 10% shorter final drive ratio in terms of clutch loading.
>

> Michael Smith
> White 1991 164L
> Original owner

True enough as far as HP differential on the S and other models.  But
(practical or not) I think the S clutch design anticipates more spirited use
by the S driver.  There are important differences in the S clutch and all
others.  The release motion is a "pull" rather than a "push" as with most
throw out bearing release motions.  The S TO bearing actually clicks into
pressure plate center and is in constant contact.  The S disc iis actually a
little thinner than other models.

Alfa calls it a "vibration damper" although I am not sure what vibration is
subject to the dampening.  Apparently those who have removed the unit have
not experienced new vibrations (surf's up!).

Don

91 164S
86 Graduate
79 Alfetta Sport Sedan