Oxygen sensors

Two weeks ago I had my O2 sensor changed (94 164LS -99K miles -still good but
security as changed exhaust system). The mechanic who installed it said two
wires came out of the plug when installing the new sensor and he might have
replaced them wrongly as subsequently the "check engine light" came on plus a
1-2-2-3 code (lambda probe dilution). He said that he then changed the two
wires but the light remained which it still does, fluctuating on and off. I
then had the CO checked and it was high indicating a rich mixture which was
borne out by my bad gas mileage from the last tankful. This presupposes that
the initial wrong wiring created a short which blew out the O2 sensor heater.
Can this happen, and if so then the mech would be responsible for replacing
the sensor ? Another mech. told me that he has never seen an O2 sensor go
even in cars with 300K miles on them (he works primarily on Volvos) and he
thinks putting the wires back to original position might cure the problem.
Other question is with an engine running rich , how long before the cat.
converter might be damaged? I have put about 300 miles on it in that
condition and have just had mixture leaned out until a new sensor is put in
next week.
Graham Arlen