RE: P4000s

Quite a different application but I run the new P4000s on my CS coupe
and they seem to do ok.  Granted my Bavarian Barge is a good 1000 pounds
heavier than most Alfas so it may be hard to drive a parallel.  The
Pirellis are quiet though, I must admit that.  Most of their failings
come from the fact that they're just old school tires, tall by modern
standards.  You really get used to the crisp turn in and lack of
sidewall flex on modern 50 series tires.

As for wet weather handling, I cannot vouch for this either as I've not
driven the car in the rain, and I don't ever plan to.  Old CSs rust
almost immediately when driven in the rain. = )

TJ

TJ Noto		AFM #134  	Cowpoke Racing-"Friends in Slow Places"
http://www.cowpokeracing.com
95 Ducati 916 Strada
96 Ducati Monster 900 (Chela's)
61 Ducati Falcone 80
70 Norton Commando Fastback
73 BMW 3.0 CS ("deviated from museum reliquary standard"-Perez)
97 BMW Z3 (Chela's)
77 Mercedes 280C (Mimosa)
00 Ford F150 Supercab
87 Suzuki RG250 (For Sale!)

Of
> Pottree@domain.elided
> Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 4:33 PM
> To: alfa@domain.elided
> Subject: P4000s
>
> In a message dated 10/29/2002 1:58:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
>

> >  His
> > recommendation is the 'new' Pirelli 4000 - it has a recently
redesigned
> > carcass.  It is all-season rated but wasn't really designed that
way;
> > much like radial tires are rated as 'snow' tires.  The 'new' ones
are
> > supposed to be much better than the 'old' 4000s.  The price is
around
> > $65/each - much in accord with the RE950s.
> >
> >     Anyone have any experience with these new Pirellis?
> >
> I replaced a set of "old" P4000s with "new" P4000s earlier this year
on
> the
> GTV6.  I liked the old ones and they performed well for a good amount
of
> time.  They weren't great as far as being sticky, etc. but they were
good,
> and the trade as always is the sticky ones don't last too long and for
my
> driving needs I'd rather have the longevity that the stickitude.  But,
by
> the
> time they were ready to replace I'm sure they weren't performing the
same
> as
> when new, so when I drove with the new "new" P4000s, it felt like a
> significant improvement.  Whether this had to do with the tire model,
the
> fact they were actually brand new, and on a fresh alignment, made it a
> little
> hard to compare old to new in any honest way.  I'm happy with them.
>
> My BW loved the old 509s on the Milano, and she also likes the
Michelin
> Energy tires, so when the Spider needed tires, I got her a set of
those
> for
> Valentine's Day.  They're also good but not as fattening as
traditional
> chocolates.  I myself don't like their driving characteristics as well
as
> the
> Pirellis, and she feels just the opposite way.   That is what makes
the
> world, and the tires, go round, I suppose.
>
> If you get the P4000s, you won't be cheated; they are good tires by
any
> measure and sell for a fair price (the Michelins are a good deal more
> expensive).   People have talked about the Potenzas and I guess they
are
> also
> new wine in old bottles.  I had a set of Potenzas years ago on the
GTV6