RE: Autocross launch - is it abusing the car?

Clutches are built to wear out when they're working properly.  Which doesn't make them any easier or cheaper to replace when they do, but the rest of your drivetrain isn't built specifically to wear out.

Dumping the clutch isn't necessarily the quickest way to launch, but it is the easiest way to launch  consistently.  If you have more power than traction, then a combination of clutch slippage and tyre spin will give a quicker takeoff.  The more power you have (or the more rubbish your tyres are), the more advantageous it is (in terms of quick launches) to find the best combination of clutch slip and dump.  This may be more applicable if you are autocrossing in your 164 than in your Spider.  Though, really, I doubt that either of them have the power to make it quicker outright (unless, again, your tyres are rubbish).

I'd be inclined to endorse the view of the previous response you received (deleted, forgotten who wrote it) recommending a combination of clutch-slip and tyre-spin.  Easier on drivetrain, slightly harder on clutch, potentially as quick but will require practice to be consistent.

regards,
Anthony.
'85 116 Giulietta

.