GTV6 valve clearances/cam timing

Hello-
Does anyone on the Digest set their GTV6 valve clearances to anything besides the factory recommended
approx. .019" Intake and .009" Exhaust? I know that the clearances are there for a reason, maladjustment can damage the drivetrain, etc., etc., etc., so please no lectures about how I need to buy the factory manuals. I am just interested to know if anyone has theories (or experimental evidence) about the effects if any, on performance with the STOCK CAMS and any different valve clearances than those recommended by Alfa. I figure that Alfa probably set them there for a reason. Also, are there any variations in cam timing that can lead to better performance? It seems that most variations in cam timing are unintentional, and result in a buncha bent valves. In my GTV, I recall resetting the cam timing per the recommendations in Alfa Digest.
Thanks,
Al