Re: how many GTV6's still in use?

Well, Dennis, while I don't blame you from putting a Mini Cooper on your short list, I do have to disagree about the availability of really GOOD GTV-6's. I have seen MANY since I bought mine. Cars that were lovingly cared-for and which get sold for a number of reasons not connected to the car's condition. Really good ones seem to sell for from somewhere around US$4500 for a good dead-stock one to around US$7500 for one tricked-out with suspension goodies, engine modifications, high-end paint jobs and the like. But the price doesn't always track that guide. You can find them all over the place, price-wise. A friend and I looked at one in San Francisco about 6 months ago that was, for all practical purposes, a brand new car. The owner had spent a fortune on it, getting all of the mechanical and suspension stuff sorted out. He had dropped a 12-valve 3-liter in it and it was ported and relieved, had the transaxel totally rebuilt, had a $5000 paint job (a deep red), and totally new tan leather upholstery and black carpeting. he was asking $5500 and was selling it because his growing family needed the money. One could tell that he was very reluctant to give it up. The only reason my friend didn't buy it was because it was an '83 and he wants an '86. I'd have bought it myself if I hadn't already spent a lot on the one I already own. Anyway, if you look around, you can find real fine GTV-6's, They flourish because parts are abundant and relatively inexpensive compared to many exotic (and some not so exotic) cars.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6.

On Monday, October 28, 2002, at 01:15 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:52:55 -0800
From: dlou <dlou@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: how many GTV6's still in use?

Except for a brief period where I had a 2 mile commute, the GTV6 has been my
daily ride for the past 8 years. The wife drives something much newer and
not from Italy (long story). We also have an old Nissan 4wd pickup that gets
used to haul stuff once every several weeks, but it's so tired that I don't
know if it'll last much longer.

If a tree fell on my Alfa, I don't think I'd replace it with another,
though. It took me me long enough to find a decent one way back when.
I'd imagine attrition would make it that much harder for me to find
a replacement V6 Alfa before I get sick of taking the bus (public transit
takes 1.25hrs to get to work; driving myself takes 12 mins). Except for the
Lotus Super Seven, open top cars just aren't my thing so a Spider would
be out of the question.

Tying back to a much older thread, I think that's why some people own
multiple copies of orphan cars. In case one gets badly damaged, they
don't have to resort to driving a non-orphan brand.

Tying back to a not-quite-as-old thread, if a tree fell on my Alfa,
I think the Mini Cooper S would be on my test-drive list.

- -Dennis
Sunnyvale, CA
'85 GTV6