Re: '91 Spider shifter

Tony, I would suspect motor and/or transmission mount wear as a cause for the
shifter rubbing the opening as you describe.   Replacing the boot is done by
removal of the lower dash padding (both sides), then the console side pieces
followed by the console.  Remove the fascia of the heater controls (the
rubber knobs pop off with a spring release behind), and you'll see the boot
is fastened up behind that area.  If your  car does not already have a
leather boot, I recommend replacing the original with that item (source:
IAP).  Just Lexol it once in a while and it looks great, stays flexible and
lasts.

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA