I once had a '72 Spider with a vinyl top. It was pinpoint vinyl, and from 20 feet away, it did almost look like cloth, but I didn't like it for 2 reasons. First, when the top was erected after being down for any length of time, it would be very wrinkly. All the fold lines would remain for quite a while, but parking in direct sun would help to re-stretch the material and level things out again. Second, driving with the top up would tend to over-stretch it, especially if the day was hot and sunny. After driving a while on the highway, the horizontal surfaces of the top would vibrate like a drum skin, which could be very loud and irritating. When the car was then parked, the top would be loose and droopy, but would re-shrink after a cool evening. Even a cheap (read Caribou) cloth top won't exhibit any of those behaviors, and I suspect cloth also wears better and is much longer-lasting.

Regards,

Dean

At 09:08 AM 10/25/2002, you wrote:

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:23:57 -0700
From: Stacy Faught <slfaught@domain.elided>
Subject: 2 non-related questions

I have two questions mabye some of you can help me with....

First off---is there any real advantage to a cloth top??? I live in southern california, so
basically the spider is never driven unless it is top-down weather, and I am seriously
considering a vinyl top to replace my old, nasty top. I know it's not necessarily true to
the original equipment, but I just can't see paying the extra $250 for something that is
rarely seen anyway. I'm not trying to be cheap---if someone can provide me with one
good reason to get cloth, then I have no problem spending the cash....but I just can't
think of one. Vinyl is more durable, resists sun-fade better, and frankly looks the same
from 10 ft away (so I've been led to believe....).