replace Spider vent glass, rear lights

In a message dated 10/23/2002 1:31:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> My vent window is broke on my 71 Spider too.  What I did was apply tape to
> each side of the glass to lessen the mess and just continue breaking the
> glass.  I'm assuming you have safety glass-it breaks up into little
> pieces.  After removing the largest part, I then took a screwdriver and
> went into the channel and pryed the remaining pieces out.  Make sure you
> wear leather gloves!  My window is being replaced by an insurance company
> under my comprehensive coverage and they still haven't located a
> replacement part in almost 3 weeks.  Any one out there have any leads for
> this glass?

It's a shame the window is broken, but too late to cry over spilled milk (or
broken glass).  Our beloved Spiders are perhaps the only cars still running
around with vent windows; it's one of their charming antique throwbacks as
most other cars of the last 25 years or so use the interior vents and a
cheaper system with a bigger window, or (a la Milano) a non-opening
triangular vent.  I always thought that in addition to not changing this
classic design approach, perhaps as the car was updated they realized they
couldn't change the shape of the window in the door because there was no room
for a large hunk of glass to roll into it, or something.  No matter.  The
result, though, I think is this (our Spider is not in the garage right now or
I'd check): I don't believe you really need factory glass as a replacement
because the vent glass has no curve, it is only a flat piece of auto safety
glass that is cut in the right shape, has the exposed edge seamed, and is
fitted in to the stainless steel channel with the hinge and has the latch
glued on with magic glue.  IOW, I think you could get a little piece of glass
and just have it made to fit (probably use the other side as a pattern), and
glue it in the channel.  It would lose you points at a Concours, but keep you
a bit more cozy on a rainy day.

Best luck!

Someone was having trouble with rear-end lights not working and I mentioned
the grounds, cleaning up the lamp holders, including the little prongs, to
make sure there is good contact.  It appears this now needs to be done with
one of the rear lamps on our 91 Spider; I've had to do it at other locations
around this car but never in the rear, until now.  Just to mention, this
brings to 100% (of 4 examples) the Alfas I have had to keep glowing by
keeping after the contacts in the rear lights.  OF course this would never
happen on a Toyota!  Why?

Charlie
LA, CA, USA