Mini ads v. Alfa ads

Charlie said, concerning the New Mini ads:

> If you noticed they are not running any Television. The ad campaign is all
> outdoor, print and the occasional ad before the movie. My guess is they
> aren't spending more then $50 million tops. For a brand new car line with
> this kind of impact this is peanuts.
> It truly is quite smart marketing.

...then Andy replied:

"Gee, when Alfa did that w? Milano & 164, everybody said they were stupid and  cheap!"

...to which Will replies: the sad difference is that the Mini ads are GOOD.  Great concepts, clever and memorable taglines, excellent
placement and execution, and perfectly targeted. I see them, remember them, understand exactly how I'm being manipulated, but they're so cute
I don't really mind. The Alfa ads OTOH were so lame, so NOT targeted to any recognizable segment of the car-buying public, that no matter how
cheap they might have been they were still a waste of adspace and money. What ARDONA needed was a campaign we'd still be remembering, like
the DDB VW ads, or even Bob Challman's Lotus ads from the '60s. What we got was either so boring I've forgotten them completely, or that
weird series of splashy paintings, more reminiscent of a promo for a seaside resort than a car ad.

I actually kinda liked those last ads, but then I liked the original Infiniti ads, too...and in both cases felt pretty sure that neither
campaign was gonna sell any cars. Wish there'd been someone around to take my bet.

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA