Lotus Elans - NAC

>>BTW, someone opined that the S2 had a 105 hp engine. My sources tell me
the
"Big Valve" Cosworth head on the Ford 1600 block, with twin "two barrel"
Dell Orto or Weber sidedraft carbs made 125 hp.<<

The stock lotus twin cam had 105hp. With the SE cams that went up to about
115hp and with the big valve head and SE cams about 125hp (how much you
believe 35 year old hp claims is another problem)

>>However, to strengthen the BODY it was
bonded around the backbone without regard to the tinworm who gets in when
the fibreglass crazes and eats the backbone away, unseen by the owner. One
day the car breaks into pieces, hopefully not in mid corner.<<

True for the S1 Europa, but I am 90% sure that this is not true for any
of the Elans. It is certainly not true of the S2 Europa or the twin cam
or special Europas

By the way, the first car I was ever in during my life was a Lotus Elan
S2 SE. I was picked up from the hospital in one after I was born. My
father only managed to keep it about another 8 weeks before he
had to swap it for a Lotus Cortina

All the best

Keith