Re: Quality control

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, C M Smith wrote:
> I know many on this Digest dislike anecdotal evidence as a basis for
> generalizing, BUT, anyone who thinks Japanese cars are no more reliable
> than "other" makes is simply dreaming.
[...]
> I have a friend who has owned half a dozen Mazdas. I have owned two. I know
> others who have owned them. NONE of these Mazdas has needed exemplary after
> sales service.

Do a web search on Mazda RX-7, specifically, the 2nd generation car, also
referred to as the FCS series.  You'll find the same data I did when I
had one (an '87 Turbo): a host of electrical failures that afflict about
90% of the cars, near constant problems with underhood vacuum systems.
I spent more money fixing my RX-7 than I've spent fixing any other car
I've ever owned (all 20 of them).  Once you're done with that, hunt
up the third generation car, which had even more expensive problems.
If that's insufficiently convincing, crawl some of the Miata lists and ask
about the diffs used in the 1.6 cars, or the gearboxes on the '99 cars.

Lots of anecdotes for you to make as many generalizations as you like.

Mazda generally makes good cars, but they're not immune to problems.
Strictly anecdotally, I'd say Mazdas have no more (and no fewer)
problems than Alfas.

james montebello
(three mazdas, three alfas, lots of other things)